Approaches and Driveways
Please complete and forward your application to: email@example.com
Rural Approach Standards
All accesses onto a Provincial Highway must be approved by Alberta Transportation. All subdivision/boundary adjustment approvals are subject to having a proper legal access onto the proposed lot as well as legal access(s) for all other approach(s) onto the balance of the parcel. Only one approach is allowed for a parcel 10 acres or less. All approach(s) shall comply with the following guidelines:
- Sight distance on approach shall be as per Table 7 below.
- The County retains the authority to allow for discretionary variances and the relaxation of standards for both existing and newly constructed approach(s).
- There shall be no obstruction on the approach (gate, curbing, fence, control box, mailbox, etc).
- Angle of the approach shall be 90 degrees to the roadway.
- Approach shall not be closer than 60 m (197 ft) from the centre line of an intersection, mailbox location, bridge, or any at-grade railway crossing.
- Approach shall not be closer than 15 m (50 ft) from an existing approach on the same side of the road.
- Approach shall be built with the same material as of new or existing road (clay or granular type materials) at a minimum 250 millimeter gravel base and the surface structure the same as the abut road or under the discretion of the Municipality.
- The side slopes of the approach shall be a 3:1 ratio. NOTE: 3 meters (10 ft) slope (length) for 1 meter (3 ft) of rise (height).
- The surface of the approach is to be crushed gravel to MD standards of 20 mm (3/4 inch) at a minimum depth of 50 mm (2 inches).
- Paved approach shall be ACP at a minimum depth of 90 mm and shall meet the specifications of Commercial "B" mix asphalt for the City of Calgary. The approach shall be paved from the shoulder of the road to the property line or for a minimum distance of 8 meters (26 11). A field approach is exempt unless otherwise specified.
- Maximum gradient of the approach shall not exceed +2% to -2% from the shoulder of the road to the property line or for a minimum distance of 8 meters (26 ft). In the case of + I% or greater gradient the surface must be crowned + 2% in both directions from the centre of the approach to accommodate for drainage. (see Figure 1 below)
- If a culvert is required, it shall be of new corrugated steel, minimum 500 mm (20 inch) diameter. All culvert couplers shall be buried below the depth of the ground cover over the culvert. Minimum ground cover over culvert is 0.3 meters (1 ft.).
- Rip Rap must be placed around the ends of the culvert, as per attached drawings. (see Figure 2 below)
- A 6.0 meter (20 ft) buffer between any power pole, power pole anchor or utility pedestal to the beginning of the culvert end must be maintained.
- A standard approach shall have a minimum surface width of 6 meters (20 ft) at the property line with a 3 meter intersecting radius at the 12 meter (40 ft) road allowance. Minimum 12 m (40 ft) culvert is required.
- A common approach shall have a minimum surface width of 9 meters (30 ft) at the property line with a 3 meter intersecting radius at the 15 meter (50 ft) road allowance. Minimum 15 m (50 ft) culvert is required.
- A commercial approach shall have a minimum surface width of 8 meters (26 ft) at the property line with a 6 meter intersecting radius at the 20 meter (65 ft) road allowance. Minimum 14 m (46 ft) culvert is required.
- All disturbed areas adjacent to the approach must be maintained to original grade, loamed, seeded and reclaimed in a manner to allow for natural grasses to re-grow.
- All debris or top soils must be removed from the road allowance and hauled to a safe distance so that no wash out is deposited onto the road allowance.
- Upon the completion of approach(s) construction onto the parcel, and acknowledging that all the above stated conditions have been met, notify Foothills County for a final inspection.
- CALL BEFORE YOU DIG! Remember; call 1-800-242-3447 call before you dig and Alberta One Call will arrange to have buried utilities in your area located for you at no charge.
|Posted Speed (km/h)||Minimum sight distance required from intersecting road/approach (m)|
The height of the object shall be 1.10 meter on the main road. The eye height shall be used at the intersection 1.10meter for passenger vehicle and 1.80 for single unit trucks/buses.
Figure 1. Road Allowance - Sloped End Installation
Click the link below.
Figure 2. Road Allowance - Hand Laid Riprap
Click the link below.