Direct Control District #2 Project
REDESIGNATION OF THE DIRECT CONTROL DISTRICT #2 LANDS
As part of the “Red Tape Reduction” initiative, the County is proposing the redesignation of Direct Control District #2 lands In the Highway 2A industrial corridor to an existing land use district in the current Land Use Bylaw, in accordance with the Highway 2A Industrial Area Structure Plan.
The County’s objectives for this project are as follows:
- Reduce the duplication of land uses by rezoning Direct Control district lands to current land use district under the Land Use Bylaw;
- Increase transparency and certainty for development in the industrial corridor;
- Encourage non-residential development in the Highway 2A Industrial Area Structure Plan Area;
- Create a more efficient process for development in the Highway 2A Industrial Area Structure Plan Area.
In order to achieve these objectives, the County will need to:
- Gather feedback from landowners, businesses, and all applicable referral agencies, intermunicipal parties, and stakeholders in the process;
- Review approved uses and land use provisions for lands currently zoned Direct Control District #2;
- Amend the General Industry District to accommodate existing and anticipated approved uses on lands currently zoned Direct Control District #2.
AMENDMENT TO THE GENERAL INDUSTRY DISTRICT
We are proposing to redesignate the Direct Control District #2 lands to General Industry District. Concurrent with this redesignation, we are drafting amendments to the current General Industry District to ensure that both approved existing uses and appropriate future uses may be accommodated, and direction will be provided to guide development in a safe, efficient, and complementary manner.
WE WANT YOUR FEEDBACK
One of key objectives in this process is to gather feedback from individual landowners and stakeholders to help to guide the project.
- In August, we sent out letters to all landowners of Direct Control District #2 land requesting to meet or discuss the project by phone or email. Initial feedback has been gathered from those who participated.
- We are now seeking additional feedback as we move further through the process and look more carefully at proposed amendments to the General Industry District and rezoning the Direct Control District #2 lands accordingly.
After reviewing the online information on the proposal, please take a moment and complete the survey and provide feedback to help guide the project.
(Survey Closes January 31, 2022)
After completion of the public engagement process, we will be submitting a report to Council outlining “What we Heard” and looking for further direction on how to proceed with the project and potentially going to a public hearing in Spring 2022.
To discuss the project or provide comments please contact
Coreena Carr by email (click here) or by telephone at 403-603-6245.
Check back here for project updates.