Welcome to Foothills County

Calculating density

How to Calculate Density

When calculating density for a Redesignation, Land Use Amendment or Subdivision application, the County currently uses "Gross density" which means that the density is calculated using the total area of the parcel - land for municipal reserves, roads and public utility functions are not removed from the calculation.

The formula used is as follows:


Density (in units per acre) = Total number of lots / total area of parent parcel (in acres)