MD of Foothills Growth Management Strategy
Download Growth Management Reports
Phase One consultation report
What We Heard - pdf
Phase Two final report called
GMS A Vision Forward - pdf
subscribe to our email list.
On April 3rd, 2013, following a public hearing, the MD of Foothills Council adopted a new Growth Management Strategy for the MD entitled "GMS A Vision Forward". The purpose of the GMS is to provide a policy framework that will assist Council in managing growth and development across the MD into the future.
The GMS builds on the vision for the future of the MD that was created through the process of developing the Municipal Development Plan (MDP 2010) in 2008 and 2009. It proposes strategies that are designed to protect and preserve those aspects of the MD that our residents value, and to support growth and development where it makes sense to do so and where it can be supported by a formal planning framework.
Growth Management Strategy Project Goals
- Educate the public on the importance of planning for growth;
- Incorporate public values into municipal policy;
- Determine what qualities of the MD are most valued by our residents;
- Begin to describe, in qualitative terms, some strategies that will enable the MD to grow in such a way as to preserve those qualities;
- Capitalize on existing opportunities and overcome potential challenges;
- Support conservation of the natural environment;
- Support conservation of agricultural lands;
- Build trust in our municipal government with residents;
- Address provincial planning requirements on our own terms.
Dividing the MD into Districts
The MD is very vast and diverse and to make planning more manageable it makes sense to break it down into smaller areas. We have attempted to create districts that make sense based on historical settlement patterns, topography, environmental factors, current land use, planning framework and opportunities and constraints for development.
To view a map of the five districts click here.
We wish to sincerely thank everyone who viewed the video, responded to the survey, or attended one of the open houses or the public hearing. Response to this project was excellent and enabled us to complete a plan that was informed by the vision and aspirations of our residents regarding life in the MD and future growth.
For more Information, please contact
Julie McLean MEDes., Planner